Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Cutty Sark - a build log {part 4}

   the problems in making the depth markers took a lot of wind out of my sails.  between the time of thinking just how to go about making the markers and actually holding a viable set in my hands, I occupied myself with the building of another model kit….something that I don’t usually do.       I hate to leave a kit undone before i start another one.  after that one was finished, I started back on the Cutty Sark.  I did a little here and a little there, but was having a hard time getting back into the swing.  then a wooden ship called the Nordkap fell into my possession.  I have never done a wooden kit before, but this is a opportunity of a life time.  my mind started to see the potential and I even saw where I should start on it, being already started by the person I got it from.  but no….I couldn’t!  what about the Cutty?  I just couldn’t see myself tabling it…I’ve gone so far on it.  the threat of forgetting even the most minute aspect of the scheme I was following, was too great.  I have to finish the Cutty first.
     I turned to playing a video game….to clear my head and to think where i was going with the Cutty.  I ended off with the aft life boats; that’s where i should pick up the build, where i left off.  the oars were not in the life boats yet and they were not lashed down……I started in.  once that was done, the davits were next, after which, they were rigged as well.
S6300250.JPG
S6300253.JPG
     the next area on my list was the various deadeyes that are to be for the headgear rigging.  at this stage, I could only do half of the rigging.  I also installed the bumkins, the arms that jut out from the wales on both sides of the ship that support the steering rigging.  the instructions said to use 1 inch pieces of string, but I used chain to make them…visible in the picture above.  the majority of the headgear rigging in this stage is comprised of chain; the bow spirit stays being light black thread.  the rest of the fore stays will be installed once the masts are in place permanently.
S6300251.JPG
S6300254.JPG
     the deadeyes that will support the ratlines {shrouds} and the back stays can be seen in these pictures as well.  I wonder why folks who do wooden kits as well as plastic {in some that I have seen}, choose to paint or do these with tan thread.  these supports are never altered and for the most part, they are coated with tar to protect them.  I do find that a bit out of context, but it is a nice bit of detail, none the less. I was going to try this type of scheme for them, but since I did the top mast and the top gallant deadeyes in black, I couldn’t do it….you have to stick with the scheme you have chosen for your kit, or your subject will look unbalanced.  this should be decided on before you start on your build.
     other aspect, like the life boat gaffs were installed next.  the sails that I am using are a combination of 1 sheet of the original sails that I got with the kit and the two sheets that i got from Revell, when I issued a missing parts request.  the original sails are a pale white, while the replacement sails are a sort of beige colored plastic.  I don’t like to do this, but I am forced to paint the sails in order to make them all the same color.  the paint, I feel, is added weight for the yards in which they will be attached to.  this alters the specs that the kit was based on and over time, the threat of a yard breaking could be a factor in it’s longevity.  I don’t know…..call me a picky worry-wart of sorts. I chose a light gray, thinned down a bit….I had already done a test subject, so i know it will work out fine.  here is a shot of the sails and the different colors of the plastic is quite visible.
S6300252.JPG
     these had to be painted front and back.  I used almost an ounce of paint in doing these.  there are 35 sails that are going on this ship.  once they were done, I had made up a make-shift clothes line in my computer room to hang them so they would dry completely.  my wife saw that and now she wants a clothes line!
     the next thing that I am to do before the masts are cemented in permanently, is to tie as many blocks on the masts as I can while they are free.  I can lay them on my desk and do this hopefully without fear of breaking a yard off.  I will have more room as well.  I have never done it in this way before, so it will serve as a test.  if it works well, I may incorporate this into any future builds.  once that is done, then they will be cemented in and the start of the final leg of it’s journey will commence……the rigging of the Cutty Sark.
S6300249.JPG



No comments:

Post a Comment