Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Cutty sark - windlass modification

    I am currently building The Cutty Sark 1:96 scale, which if you’ve read my posts, I’ve had a few setbacks.  But the build goes on, never the less….I’ve gone too far to quit on it now.  The instruction sheets are the best; Revell did a good job.  But this is my second build of this fine ship in this scale, the first time around, not doing too much in the way of painting.  This time was going to be different…..I was going to go Picasso on it.  After I cleared up the sail dilemma, thanks to a fellow from Belgium, I set to work.  I got to the anchor chain step, and I thought about how fake it made the windlass assembly look in my first build.  I quickly developed an idea towards making it look like a real working windlass. The step calls for three pieces of chain…….I could do that step in two pieces.      I started by drilling two small holes in the deck where the chain gate covers were located.  The chain is supposed to start out from inside these two gates and then the windlass roller.  the first two holes were just large enough for the chain to fit in and cemented into place.  when the covers were installed, they would hide the holes, the chain would appear as if coming out from below deck.
Cutty  Sark bow
The second set of holes, made a bit larger, so that the chain could be threaded through them via my “snake” {a wire with a hook at the end}and then pulled through the bow gates.  Before I did that I had to assemble the windlass roller.  I put this part of the assembly together, and used the forecastle deck to keep everything aligned until it set.
 holes drilled w/ chain
once the assembly holes drilled w/ chainwas set enough to work with, I wound the chain around the windlass roller.
bow with complete windlass assembly installed.JPG
After I did it, I saw that maybe i should have installed the chain from the inside-out, rather that the outside-in…as you see
     The two small slots on either side of the chain is where the forecastle stairs will be.  I later found that the chain rests against them.  It’s WAY too late to change it now, because the forecastle deck is in place by this time, hiding the two larger holes.
It was fortunate for me that there was enough clearance to accommodate this change in the plans.
S6300051.JPG
The two white spots that you see in front of the hawser reel, are two missing eyebolt holes that somehow didn’t get molded into this kit.  there were a few other imperfections, but I’ve managed to thwart this kit’s intent for me not to build her.  She Will get finished
S6300054.JPG




No comments:

Post a Comment