Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Cutty Sark - a build log {part 6}

     once I had finished the standing rigging, I then started to look at the next step…..the sails.  I started at the bow, tying on the jib sails.  I had already tied on all the blocks necessary to do the running rigging included with them….the halyards, down hauls and sheet lines.  the stay sails, the Spencer gaff sail and the spanker sail were the next ones to go on.  at that time, I only did the down hauls and sheet lines for them, I would save the Vang lines for later…I did not want them in the way.   I had given thought as to how I would handle putting on the mast sails.  the clew lines and down hauls are directly related to the yards themselves, so I figured that I would do them without the sails on.  the sheet lines would connect the bottom corners of the sails to the yards and would complete their assembly.
     the clew lines are the pulleys, so the lines cannot cross anywhere in the assembly.  care must be taken to route the lines accordingly, so that this does not occur….there are twenty of these lines throughout the masts, all tied to the pin rails along the deck.  as they run down to the deck, they must not intersect other lines, as it would create havoc with the other lines as well and make it look messy.  there must be a sense of order….this takes a lot of trial and error.
clew lines and down hauls.JPG
S6300301.JPG
S6300302.JPG
S6300314.JPG
     soon it was time to put the other sails on.  each one of these sails have a name, but to list them all would make for a long list. the bottom sails had to go on first, clew lines were to be connected to them.  from the fore mast to the mizzen, they went on….one at a time.  because the sails are from….so to speak….of two different batches {kits}, the idea of painting the sails began to show me what a good idea it was.  they look great!  I never painted my sails….I always let them age on their own.  I think I should change the way I look at this type of sails {plastic}.  I have a few future kit that i want to do…..  painting the sails took away the semi-gloss finish they had and totally deadened it.  the newer sails even have a bit more detail to them.  they also look a little more grainy in texture.  it’s kind of regrettable that i don’t have the complete set.  these are the main sails the ship is equipped with.  when more speed is required, studding sails are use to achieve this.  these sails are affixed to the fore and main mast…eight in all.  there are twenty-seven main sails in all.  the next step was to do the Vang lines for the Spencer gaff and the spanker sail.  the ensign halyard was the last line that i put on her.
S6300316.JPG
S6300320.JPG
S6300321.JPG
     If the standing rigging is taught enough, the jibs and stay sails will not sag from the pull of the sheet lines.  there is very little sag here….I am quite pleased.  to have control over the thread and to know where “absolute zero” is throughout the rigging process is essential.  there are many cases where one single line, will have control over multiple lines.  to pull too much, one line or another, will cause slack in other lines, possibly ruining the effects of the rigging.  through symmetrical order of the lines, the pulleys are run and show the actions they will perform.  I still have the sheet lines and the braces to run, before the last step…the studding sails.  they will add more beauty to this fine lady.
S6300317.JPG
S6300318.JPG
S6300319.JPG
S6300315.JPG

1 comment: